Global Youth Service Day (GYSD)
How is SCALE involved in GYSD?
To promote the mission of developing youth leaders who are agents of social change, SCALE is partnering with Youth Service America for Global Youth Service Day to engage youth from kindergarten through college in service and literacy activities. This event will serve to connect literacy organizations around the state, allowing for greater collaboration, and sharing of resources and expertise, which will maximize their impact in local communities.
NCLC members will support youth-serving organizations to carry out service projects and activities with youth throughout the spring. All participating youth and community members will then be invited to celebrate literacy and youth service at the North Carolina Day of Reading event in their local community.
My program doesn’t focus on literacy. Can I still be involved?
Whether you are cleaning a park, launching a recycling program, or distributing energy efficient light bulbs, encourage youth to engage their literacy skills to make a bigger, more sustainable impact!
Have youth create fliers to put up around the park explaining the importance of keeping the park clean, or write letters to local government officials about why they should support more recycling programs. Building houses for Habitat for Humanity? Create a brochure to introduce families to their new neighborhood, including community resources that are available. Creating care packages for veterans? Use social media to ask for donations. The possibilities are endless!
Who should get involved in GYSD in NC?
- Anyone who is a youth or who works with youth and who would like to be involved in service.
- Anyone how lives and serves in North Carolina.
- Anyone who supports literacy.
- Anyone who supports a social justice cause and thinks that literacy helps people to support that cause.
Not sure if you are a good fit, but want to get involved anyway? Contact us and we can help!
How can I get involved?
Do you have a youth service event or activity planned this spring?
Do you want to plan a youth service event or activity this spring?
Do you know you want to get involved but are not sure how?
- Contact us and we can help!
Whats happening on GYSD?
SCALE will be hosting regional community events on April 16th where we will celebrate the power and joy of reading by telling stories about how literacy is integral to the issues that matter most in North Carolina.
You can help by registering your service projects and sharing photos, videos, and stories that show how students are using their literacy skills to help, educate, and inform others about important issues in their local community and, of course, how literacy is, not only an important part of education, but a right for people of all ages.
What ever your social justice cause may be, ask yourself,
“How am I or can I advocate for literacy this GYSD?”
Literacy fits into all advocacy causes!
- Run a Book Drive (From BookHarvestNC.org)
- Literacy Related Service and Advocacy Projects (From readwriteact.org)
- Choose a cause (From GYSD.org)
- 55 Environmental Service-Learning Projects (From YSA.org)
- Youth Changing the World: A Service Project Toolkit (From YSA.org)
- Youth Toolkit Tipsheets (From YSA.org)
- YSA Grants
- Lead Agency Shared Resources (From YSA.org)
- Building Your Partner Coalition Tools (From YSA.org)
- Engage public leaders (From YSA.org)
Social Media Messaging
- Facebook: Tag @YouthServiceAmerica using #GYSD.
- Twitter: Tweet @YouthService using #GYSD.
- YouTube: Watch @YouthService, tag videos with GYSD and use GYSD in the video description.
- Instagram: Tag @YouthService and use #GYSD in your photo caption.