Need for Membership
Volunteers are a key part of our mission, but retaining volunteers is not easy. While there were 62.6 million volunteers in 2015 (source), more than one-third of those people won’t donate their time the next year – at any nonprofit. This adds up to an estimated $38 billion in lost labor nationwide (source).
Volunteer satisfaction is an important part of volunteer retention and we know that one of the most common complaints is not enough training. Literacy volunteers are especially susceptible to this; just because someone knows how to read and write doesn’t mean they are ready to teach others to read and write.
Our membership offerings allow us to support college students and community volunteers, particularly those engaged in literacy tutoring. We provide students and community organizations who manage volunteers with training in a variety of areas. We’ve highlighted some of our most commonly requested training topics/themes below:
- Evidence-based literacy tutoring methods
- Volunteer management and event planning
- Fundraising and student group sustainability
What does it mean to be a SCALE member?
SCALE members are a coalition of campus and community leaders who are working to improve literacy. Members can share ideas, get advice, promote their work, and gain invaluable support for this critical, challenging, work.
- Monthly resource newsletter: with info about upcoming events and grant opportunities, news and research updates about issues that matter, and great ideas to improve your tutoring program.
- Customized web-based training: Need to do a start-up training but don’t feel qualified? Noticing that your volunteers need help with something really specific, we’ll create a training just for you, tailored to the needs and schedule of your volunteers! ($200 value)
- Unlimited FREE access to SCALE webinars: View current offerings here (Value up to $25 per training)
- Free Registration for the Read.Write.Act Virtual Conference: for all students and AmeriCorps members and deep discounts for staff and other volunteers. (Value up to $150)
- Discounts on Read! T-shirts: and other literacy advocacy gear
- Mini grants: Priority for all SCALE grant competitions and other program and funding resources
- Access to SCALE’s extensive lending library and resources: Items can be borrowed by mail or copies of chapters can be requested by email. Including best practices for tutoring, volunteer and program management, program evaluation, and updates about opportunities and grants.
Still have questions? Email the SCALE staff at firstname.lastname@example.org